- It refers to the complete dismissal of a case against an individual
- This term signifies the freeing of an individual from any monetary debt or duty they are obligated to
- Typically used in a legal setting, it's when a person accused of a crime is deemed not guilty through a court procedure
- Often used when a person is declared innocent of any misconduct
- Primarily in the legal context, it describes when a person charged with a crime is exempted from criminal responsibility
- The jury decided to acquit the defendant as there was not enough evidence.
- If the prosecution cannot prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, the court may acquit the accused.
- The judge decided to acquit her of all charges after considering the lack of credible evidence.