- The action of lessening an amount in increments over time
- The approach of gradually clearing a debt, typically through regular payments consisting of both principal and interest or contributions to a sinking fund
- The practice of gradually decreasing the cost of an asset for tax benefits, often by distributing periodic charges to income across a specified period
- The company decided to amortize their new equipment over a five-year period to spread out the costs.
- By deciding to amortize her student loan, she could manage her payments more efficiently.
- The software company chose to amortize their development costs over the foreseeable life of their product.