- A comment or explanation, often summarizing related court decisions, that's added to a law or statute
- A note or essay providing information or description, specifically found in American Law Reports, regarding a case or legal issue
- The lawyer referred to the annotation in the law book to explain the previous court decisions related to the case.
- The annotation in American Law Reports provided insightful information about the ongoing legal issue.
- To understand the nuances of this law, the student spent hours studying the annotation.