- The act of preventing or invalidating a patent claim because it was previously known or expected
- The act of making an invention non-novel or common by its prior existence in the public sphere
- The patent office refused to grant the patent because the invention was already anticipate by a similar product in the market.
- The defense in the patent case argue that the invention should not be patent because it has been anticipate in prior art.
- The patent application was reject because the concept was already anticipate in an older patent.