- A brief comment or annotation found at the side of the main text
- A type of certification used in international proceedings, issued by formal authorities, that verifies a document's signing by a notary public as per the rules of the Hague Convention
- To authenticate her documents for international use, she had to obtain an apostille from a governmental authority.
- The oversea client demanded an apostille to confirm the legitimacy of the notarized contract.
- After much effort, he managed to secure an apostille, confirming that the will had been signed by a valid notary public.