- A process of estimating the monetary worth of property by a qualified person
- A legal process to determine the fair price of a company's stock that a disagreeing shareholder can usually request in situations involving significant corporate actions like a merger
- An assessment of the value of real estate for purposes such as taxation, selling, or obtaining a mortgage
- A valuation of the cost of damage to property to settle an insurance claim
- The bank requested an appraisal of the property before granting the home loan.
- During the merger, a shareholder disagreed with the stock price and demanded an appraisal.
- After the storm, the homeowner needed an appraisal to calculate the damage for their insurance claim.