- A system that allows for the temporary freedom of a person accused or convicted of a crime, given assurance of their return for future court hearings
- The financial or material guarantee provided as assurance for a prisoner's temporary release from custody
- A person or entity who provides the guarantee that a released prisoner will return for future court dates
- The act of temporarily releasing a person accused or convicted of a crime, on the condition of return for future hearings
- The process of securing the temporary release of an accused or convicted person by providing a guarantee of their future court appearances
- The act of placing personal belongings under a temporary agreement, called bailment, for safekeeping or other purposes
- The lawyer managed to secure bail for his client.
- The defendant's family offered their house as bail to ensure his return for the trial.
- Being a bail for someone implies taking the responsibility of their appearance in court.