- The act of trading one item or service for another without using cash or any form of monetary payment
- The practice of swapping goods or services without involving any form of money
- The method of trading where goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services, instead of trading through money
- Instead of paying cash for the painting, they decided to barter it for a rare book from their collection.
- The two companies agreed to barter goods to lower their operating costs.
- In some rural communities, barter is still a prominent way of obtaining necessary goods and services.