- The trigger or instigator that produces an outcome or result
- The rationale or justification for a particular action or belief
- An adequate reason that justifies a certain conduct or action, often used in the phrase 'good cause'
- A substantial and legal reason for taking a particular action, often used in the phrase 'just cause'
- The base or foundation of a legal action or lawsuit
- The motivation or rationale behind establishing a contract
- The action of bringing about a specific outcome or effect
- The action of producing a result through exertion of command, authority, or force
- The lawyer argued that the plaintiff had a clear and just cause for pursuing the lawsuit.
- The cause of the contract breach was a confusion in the terms of the agreement.
- The judge ruled in favor of the defendant due to lack of good cause provided by the prosecution.