- The act of giving up or surrendering something, often following an agreement or treaty
- The action of an insurance company transferring a part or all of its liability under an insurance policy to another insurance company
- After the war, the country had to cede a portion of its territory to the victor.
- The small insurance company decided to cede a significant portion of its liability under the policy to a larger firm to manage risks.
- If the city refuses to cede control of the public park, the state may intervene.