certificate of title
- A legal document stating the ownership of a specific property, showing it's clear of all impediments, save for possibly listed encumbrances like a mortgage
- An official document provided by a motor vehicle registry, indicating the owning party of a motor vehicle
- A document dispensed by a registry of deeds, affirming the proprietorship of a certain property
- A legal statement provided by a title researcher such as a lawyer, expressing the legal status of a property's title based on an investigation or abstract of title
- After paying off the mortgage, they received their certificate of title, showing they were now the sole owners.
- He couldn't sell the car legally until he had the certificate of title in his hand.
- The new homeowners waited anxiously for the certificate of title to confirm that they were free and clear of any previous claims.