- The primary authority figure in a chancery
- The top-ranking official in the legal system of Great Britain, known as the Lord Chancellor
- A judicial figure presiding over a court of equity in certain state jurisdictions within the United States
- The leader or principal figurehead of a university
- The highest-ranking administrative officer in some state higher education systems
- The leading political figure or head of government in certain European countries, like Germany
- The chancellor inspected the document for any errors before stamping it with the official seal.
- In her role as chancellor of the university, she led various initiatives to increase the diversity of the student body.
- With the economy in a crisis, all eyes were on the chancellor to provide a solution.