- A law primarily rooted in the legal system of ancient Rome, principally found in Justinian's Code
- A legal system conceived from Roman law and utilized in the state of Louisiana, across continental Europe, and many other countries outside the English-speaking world, particularly those colonized by European nations
- Law instituted by a specific nation or state for its own jurisdiction
- A body of law that governs private rights, contrasting with laws that regulate criminal matters
- In the matter of inheritances, civil law has specific regulations that provide guidance.
- Civil law codes in various countries have shaped their legal procedures and court systems.
- Your real estate dispute will be adjudicated under the provisions of civil law.