- The quality of being willing or able to lessen the seriousness of a punishment, such as a prison sentence
- A specific action or occurrence of showing mercy, compassion, or forgiveness
- Given his remorse and cooperation with authorities, the judge chose to show clemency and reduced his sentence by half.
- Clemency often comes into play when considering the conditions and circumstances of someone's behavior.
- The governor is known for his clemency, frequently reducing, or even eliminating, the sentences of offenders with good behavior.