- A fact or circumstance that accompanies the main issue, but is secondary in significance
- Something not immediately important or relevant to the main concern
- Associated with the same lineage but not directly descending from the same ancestor
- Assets leveraged as a security to ensure debt repayment
- A pledge wherein an asset secures a loan or debt
- A relative who is not a direct ancestor or descendant but shares the same ancestry
- The asset or property used as a guarantee by a borrower that will be taken by the lender in case of nonpayment of the loan
- The bank requires some form of collateral before approving the loan.
- Due to his collateral relationship to the direct descendants, he was not entitled to the inheritance.
- Although the additional reports were collateral to the central issue, the judge still allowed them into evidence.