- A political entity like a nation or state
- A political unit that prioritizes the common good and is established by formal or informal agreement among the population
- An entity where the people hold the ultimate power
- An official description for certain states within the United States
- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has certain laws that differ from other states.
- The power in the commonwealth resides primarily with the people.
- She moved to the Commonwealth of Kentucky for a job opportunity.