conflict of interest
- When a person's private interests interfere with their responsibilities in an official or professional role
- When a person faces competing responsibilities, such as an attorney serving clients with opposing interests
- The city council member recused himself from the vote due to a possible conflict of interest.
- Because of a conflict of interest, the lawyer stepped down from representing two clients in the same case.
- The employee alerted the supervisor of a conflict of interest when she was assigned to audit a company her husband works for.