- An act that constitutes a violation of the law, which results in a specified punishment such as imprisonment or fine
- An act deemed illegal by public law, generally excluding minor infractions
- Any activity that involves violating the law
- To prosecute someone for a crime, sufficient evidence must be presented in court.
- Police departments are charged with detecting and preventing crime within their jurisdictions.
- The increase in crime rates often impacts the overall safety of a community.