- The responsibility and control a person or an authority has over an individual or an object
- The responsibility of supervising and managing a property which includes taking accountability for any damages that might happen under the supervision
- The process of caring for and raising a child, which includes the right to guide the child’s activities and make choices about the child’s upbringing
- The restriction of an individual's liberty by an authority, resulting from scenarios such as arrest, imprisonment, or being released on conditions such as bail, personal recognizance, probation, or parole
- After the divorce, the mother was granted custody of their child.
- The suspect was held in custody until his court hearing.
- The art museum took custody of the historic painting to ensure its safety and maintenance.