- It's a Latin term used to depict a situation, state, or condition that exists in fact, even though it's not officially recognized by laws
- It describes a situation where someone is acting as if they have legal authority, even if they don't officially have it
- Despite not being formally recognized, the group has de facto control over the region.
- While she was not the appointed leader, she exercised de facto authority over the team.
- Although it was not officially a one-party state, it was de facto the only political party with any power.