- A Latin phrase pertaining to starting anew or from the beginning, as if the prior decision or event never occurred
- When an appellate court considers issues, either fact or law related, independently without adhering to the original court's conclusions
- Permits a complete retrial or a thorough review based completely on newly discovered evidence
- The appellate court reviewed the case de novo and overturned the earlier decision.
- In a de novo trial, the judge is not bound by the previous decision and can introduce new rulings based on the facts presented.
- The defense requested a de novo review upon finding new evidence that could exonerate their client.