- Being in a state where one has to fulfill obligations or give something to someone due to a previous agreement or transaction
- An assigned amount of money or task that one must provide to another party based on a mutual agreement, such as a loan contract
- The responsibility of paying or performing a particular action based on another party's demand or claim
- A condition characterized by the state of owing things or money to others
- The total sum of money that one owes to others
- A lawsuit under common law aiming to recover a definite amount of money or a sum that can be determined clearly and without doubt
- After years of frivolous spending, John found himself in a staggering amount of debt.
- The bank filed a lawsuit to recover the debt from the failed business loan.
- Jane decided to pay off her debt early to avoid accruing more interest.