- The relinquishment of property for public utilization in a way that forbids the owner from maintaining any future ownership claim on it
- A purposeful contribution of land designated for communal utilization which is officially accepted by appropriate public entities
- The deliberate or careless relinquishing to the public domain of creative or inventive properties otherwise eligible for copyright or patent protections
- The city park was built on land that was a dedication from a generous local business.
- The dedication of the property by the owner meant the land could be utilized for a new public recreation area.
- His novel entered the public domain as a result of his decision for dedication instead of securing a copyright.