- The action of spreading untrue statements about an individual, which harms their standing or prevents others from wanting to interact with them
- A damaging communication that hurts a person's character, fame, or reputation
- The celebrity sued the magazine for defamation after they published false reports about her.
- His career was greatly affected by defamation when false rumors about him spread through social media.
- The company filed a defamation lawsuit against the blogger who posted misleading information about their products.