- The act of protecting from danger or threat
- Representing a person who is being charged in a court
- Refuting or fighting against the legal rights or claims brought by a plaintiff
- To respond or act against an attack or confrontation
- To put forward a defensive stance or argument
- The lawyer was appointed to defend the accused in court.
- During the trial, the attorney had to defend against the claims made by the plaintiff.
- The coach taught the team various techniques to defend against their opponent's strategies.