- Refers to the act of resisting an attack, assertion or accusation
- It is the justification or argument made by a defendant in response to a charge or an assertion made in a legal suit
- This term also means the justification by which a person obligated under a negotiable instrument seeks to evade liability
- Relates to the party or individual who argues against a claim or charge in a legal proceeding
- The lawyer presented a strong defense on behalf of the accused.
- The defendant claimed innocence as part of his defense.
- Under the defense stipulation, the payee avoided liability under the negotiable instrument.