- A step describing the relative distance in a genealogical line from a common ancestor
- An assessment of the severity or gravity of a criminal offense
- The standard of conscientiousness one would reasonably expect of an individual under given circumstances
- The degree of relation between two individuals in a family tree determines their kinship.
- In criminal law, homicide could be classified in varying degrees based on its nature and intent.
- The degree of care shown by the defendant in an accident case will help to ascertain negligence.