- A stern request or requirement for something, typically a payment for a debt, based often on a legal right and usually made with force
- An item or action that someone is compelled to provide, fulfill, or abide by
- An authoritative or forceful request for something that is thought to be owed or due by legal right
- The company failed to meet the demand for payment from its creditors.
- The labor union's key demand was improved working conditions.
- By law, the landlord made a demand for overdue rent.