- The state of being influenced or controlled by another factor or entity
- The state of relying on another, especially for financial assistance
- The state of not having sufficient resources or means for support or protection and requiring help from others such as a public agency
- Being under the authority or control of another's jurisdiction
- A person who needs support from someone else, usually in financial terms
- The child, being a dependent, needed his parents to support him financially.
- The client was proven to be a dependent on his ex-spouse, thus he was awarded alimony.
- The welfare agency provided necessary support for the woman, considering her an eligible dependent.