- A gradual reduction in the worth of a company's asset, such as machinery, for tax purposes which cannot be recovered by current maintenance and is recorded annually on the company's books, spreading out the initial cost over the asset's expected lifespan
- The decrease in value of an asset due to physical wear, decay, or due to it becoming outdated or not being versatile enough
- The annual report showed a considerable depreciation of the company's heavy machinery over its ten-year lifespan.
- The depreciation of the building was due to its poor condition and outdated technology.
- The inadaptability of the software led to its rapid depreciation in the market.