- The process of maintaining possession of an object or item
- The act of keeping an individual under restriction or confinement
- The process where an authoritative figure informs a prison official that a prisoner is required for criminal charges, asking for the prisoner's continued confinement or notice of the prisoner's upcoming release
- The detainer was issued by the court to retain the accused in police custody till the next hearing.
- Following the judicial process, a detainer was set on the property until the dispute was legally resolved.
- The local authorities set a detainer on the inmate until the foreign jurisdiction sends an official notification for his extradition.