- The act of misusing or squandering the assets of a deceased person's estate, typically done by the person entrusted with the management of the estate such as an executor
- A document issued under common law, seeking redress for the act of wasting or mishandling the assets of a decedent's estate
- The heir filed a claim making allegations of devastavit by the executor in the disposal of the estate.
- The court decided to investigate the possible devastavit after suspicion of funds being improperly managed.
- To rectify the devastavit, the executor could be held liable to compensate the estate for the loss.