- A process where ownership or control of something is transitioned to another individual or entity
- When a responsibility or obligation becomes someone else's duty, typically due to particular conditions or circumstances
- Upon his retirement, the leadership of the company will devolve to the vice president.
- After the sudden resignation of the team leader, the management responsibilities devolved onto her assistant.
- When the original project manager left, the tasks devolved to a new person to ensure the project’s completion.