- The capacity to make choices within the confines prescribed by law
- A judge's autonomy to make rulings informed by fairness, equity, and legal principles
- The prerogative of a public officer or employee to take actions and formulate decisions based on personal judgment or conscience, within reasonable and lawful bounds
- The judge exercised discretion when considering the unique circumstances of the case.
- The public official used his discretion in deciding how to allocate the funds within his authority.
- The officer's decision fell within her discretion, since it was reasonable and within the parameters of the law.