- A distinct area of land, defined for purposes like administration, legal jurisdiction, elections, etc., that can exist within a larger entity like a nation, state, county, or city
- A specific section within a town or city set up to handle a specific government function
- A specific area within the United States or within individual states acknowledged by a specific federal or state court
- The district attorney handles prosecuting criminal cases within their assigned district.
- The school district had its own superintendent and board who made decisions for the schools within that district.
- The tax rates may vary from district to district within a state.