- The act of changing the direction or use of something
- The illegal change of course or use of something without permission
- A pause in legal proceedings against an accused person, who participates in a recovery program or pays for the damages they caused, where if successful, the charges will be dropped
- The court recommended diversion as a strategy to help the accused turn his life around.
- The unauthorized diversion of funds by the company's CEO led to a major legal dispute.
- Substance abuse offenders often participate in a diversion program instead of going to trial.