- An exclusion or instance of something that doesn't fall under a general statement or law
- The act or an instance when a rule or law is not applied due to certain circumstances
- The formal, typically written, objection raised against a judge's decision in a court case
- The new policy applies to everyone, with no exception for long-term employees.
- In their case, an exception was made due to their unique circumstances.
- The attorney filed an exception to the judge's ruling, arguing that it was unjust.