- The act of providing exemption or discharge to someone from a specific obligation or duty
- The act of serving as a valid reason or explanation that justifies a certain action or behavior
- A situation that legally permits someone to be released from an obligation, duty, or a contractual liability
- A particular situation, such as a physical threat, that provides immunity from being legally responsible for actions that would otherwise be considered wrong or criminal
- The court decided to excuse the witness from further testimony due to their health condition.
- The defendant used self-defense as an excuse for their violent behavior.
- The contract had an clause that could excuse either party under certain circumstances.