- Refers to being cleared or liberated from a specific responsibility or requirement that is normally expected of others
- Describes the act of being set free or made an exception from certain tax liabilities, responsibilities, or directives that others are normally expected to comply with
- Because of their nonprofit status, the organization was exempt from paying corporate taxes.
- Individuals with a certain level of income may find themselves exempt from some tax liabilities.
- Though typically everyone must attend the meeting, the department heads were exempt this time.