- It refers to the process of freeing someone from a burden, such as a liability, obligation, duty, or responsibility
- It is the right of a person who has paid a debt for which they were not primarily responsible to get repaid by the person who was initially responsible for the debt
- It's the right of a surety, a person or estate that's secondarily responsible, to require the party with primary liability to fulfill the obligation, thereby relieving the surety
- After a thorough investigation, the judge granted an exoneration, clearing the defendant of any responsibilities in the case.
- Having paid off the debt on his friend's behalf, he sought exoneration to get reimbursed from the friend who was primarily liable.
- The insurance company, acting as a surety, demanded exoneration, requiring the homeowner to cover the damages, thus lifting the burden off the company.