- A monetary cost or obligation incurred during an activity or for something purchased
- The act of assigning costs to a particular activity, accounting period, or project
- The process of recording a cost as an expense in the accounting periods that the cost is used to produce revenues
- The new equipment became a considerable expense for the small business.
- The finance department decided to expense the office supplies used in the month of May.
- Due to depreciation, the company decided to write off a portion of the assets as an expense each year.