- An officially recognized bond, often between a parent and a child, that establishes certain rights and responsibilities
- The legal process of affirming or determining somebody's status as a parent or child
- In the court, filiation was established, confirming that he was the legal father of the child.
- The filiation case was reopened due to new evidence suggesting that the declared father might not be the biological parent.
- Matters of inheritance were complicated due to the unresolved filiation of the claimant.