- A monetary penalty served as punishment for a wrongdoing or offense
- Payment required by a person who has been held liable in a civil lawsuit to compensate the wronged party
- The act or process of imposing a monetary penalty on an individual or entity for a violation or misconduct
- The company was issued a fine for violating health and safety regulations.
- After losing the civil lawsuit, they were required to pay a large fine for damages.
- The city decided to fine residents who improperly sorted their recycling.