- An official investigation, often made by a selected group of individuals like a jury, commonly used to examine facts or to determine the truth behind an incident or case
- Refers to a selected group such as a jury, gathered specifically to conduct a formal investigation or examination to determine certain facts
- An inquest was immediately launched following the unfortunate event to trace its cause.
- The town's local council organized an inquest to come to the bottom of the public complaints regarding the new policy.
- The purpose of the inquest was to identify culpability in the financial misappropriation incident.