- An individual who is hired or given the authority to scrutinize a particular thing or process
- In the context of law enforcement, an inspector refers to a police official who oversees various districts and holds a rank beneath a superintendent or deputy superintendent
- The health inspector visited the restaurant to ensure food safety regulations were being followed.
- The police inspector was tasked with managing the operations for several precincts in the city.
- The construction company hired an inspector to ensure that the new building met all the required safety standards.