- A term referring to something that is positioned, occurring, or pertaining to the middle stage, place, or degree between two extremes
- In the legal context, it relates to a level of careful examination by a court in an equal protection case. This level of scrutiny is more intensive than the rational basis test, but less severe than strict scrutiny
- The negotiations are at an intermediate stage, and it would be premature to comment on them.
- The law was subject to intermediate scrutiny by the court before its implementation.
- In the course, they also studied the process of intermediate scrutiny in law.