- The act of stepping in at a certain point in time or between events
- The act of inserting oneself into a situation to modify it or create an obstacle
- Joining a legal proceeding initiated by others to safeguard a perceived interest concerning the proceeding's focus
- The city council decided to intervene to halt the demolition of the historic building.
- When disagreements among the team grew intense, the supervisor chose to intervene.
- A local landowner chose to intervene in the court case to protect her interest in the disputed property.