- A condition of being legally, consensually, and contractually bound to another individual as a spouse, which is acknowledged by law and can be dissolved solely through lawful means
- A ritual involving specific legal protocols that initiate a marital relationship
- After five years of dating, they decided to enter into a marriage.
- The validity of the marriage was questioned due to the absence of adequate legal formalities during the ceremony.
- After ten years of marriage, they decided to lawfully dissolve their relationship.