- An administrative professional appointed in every judicial district of the U.S. to carry out court orders and perform tasks similar to a sheriff
- An officer of the law in some U.S. cities like New York, responsible for certain specific tasks such as serving justice of the peace court processes
- The administrative leader of the police or fire department in certain U.S. cities
- The action of arranging assets in a way that determines their liability or availability for the payment of obligations
- The marshal is responsible for enforcing the court's orders in his district.
- In certain cities, the duties of a marshal include serving court processes.
- In aiming to arrange his debt payment, he had to marshal his assets.