mitigation of damages
- An obligation in tort and contract law where an injured individual should take reasonable action to reduce or minimize the losses caused by the inflicted harm
- The process of lessening or reducing the sum awarded to a party for damages
- The landlord was advised to pursue mitigation of damages by promptly renting the vacated apartment to minimize loss of rental income.
- If the company had used better strategies for the mitigation of damages, they wouldn't have had to pay as much in compensation.
- The injured party failed to uphold their responsibility of mitigation of damages, leading to an increase in their overall loss.